Thursday, February 16, 2017

Blog #3

The speech I am going to analyze is President Trump’s inauguration speech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRBsJNdK1t0. First I find it weird how a majority of Republicans said Trump’s speech was excellent and a majority of Democrats said it was poorly done. But, we should come to expect negative reviews from the opposition party. I think one thing Donald Trump did well during this speech was to give GOP senators some confidence that he will be an effective president. His speech was crafted in a way that was pleasing and politically correct from the point of view of the GOP senators. He also talked about how he will bring together the Republican Party, not cause it to divide. He also did an amazing job talking about how he is the people’s champion. At various points throughout his speech he talked about how he won “by a landslide”. He backs this up by talking about how he swept the Rust Belt states from Hillary when no one expected him too. He does a really good job of making the viewer know the American people are the ones who wanted him in the Oval Office. I think one major thing he did very poorly was to include everyone in his speech. He did not do a good enough job of persuading America to believe he will fight for everyone no matter who you are. In his speech he barely mentions women and minorities. This is a category of people who have been largely opponents of Donald Trump. This speech should have been used to bring America together after a bitter election and to reassure everyone that America is only great when we all work together. 



If I were Trump’s campaign manager I would tell him to change the way he speaks. He needs to talk in more fluent and informative sentences. He also talks with his hands too much. During every speech, debate, and news conference we can see Trump doing hand gestures as he speaks. This is highly distracting and from my point of view takes away from the context of his speech. I would have also had Trump talk about immigration in a more politically correct way during his speeches. This category of people has been ignored by Trump and his policies. His policies are geared toward keeping most minorities out of America. This is where his ideas of “The Wall” and “The Muslim Ban” become so controversial. As his manager, I would also urge him to talk about HealthCare more directly. I would have him in a speech clearly state the main points of his HealthCare replacement plan. If he had done this I believe everyone would be more accepting of him. The fact that he never clearly states his plan is something that has been clearly documented and criticized. He would become more of a revered politician if he were able to clearly summarize his actions and policies. Trump overall just needs to become more inclusive when he is talking. He needs to be able to show the American people that he is working for them and has everyone’s needs in mind. 


http://imgur.com/azEndIw
http://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cd3136bcc3164c5daa3784c531b1ac11.jpg?w=620
http://thehustle.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/1453212321_maxresdefault.jpg

3 comments:

  1. I agree that his hand gestures are somewhat distracting during his speech. It is Trump's style to constantly move his hands while speaking. It might be because he has spent his whole life as a Businessman, and Business people often move their hands to get their point across. But you highlighted the positives of his speech well, that he often mentioned the American people, and they were the ones who wanted Trump in office, not the mainstream media or rich celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I disagree on him changing his style of speaking. I believe it resonates well with uneducated voters that ended up carrying him to an election victory. Although that's not the type of speech I look for in a candidate, it definitely worked for him. Aside from that, good and entertaining post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree with both things that Peter and Aaron have to say about Trumps style of speaking. While I don't agree with the way Trump speaks as a politician similarly to Aaron, this is what draws his audience. All the hand motions and gestures are to grab his less educated audiences attention and keep it there. Other than that, great work on this blog post.

    ReplyDelete